Luminar NEO: How to use the Dodge & Burn ToolJun 09, 2023
In the world of photography, the magic lies in the ability to manipulate light and shadows. With the Dodge & Burn tool in Luminar NEO, photographers can elevate their artistry to new heights. This blog post takes you on a journey into the powerful world of Luminar NEO's dodge and burn tool. Discover its precision, versatility, and endless creative possibilities and get ready to unlock the full potential of your photographs and infuse them with captivating light.
GIFT 🎁: Download your Free Luminar NEO Shortcut Cheatsheet and immediately speed up your editing workflow in Luminar NEO! Click here to get your gift!
In this article:
- What is the Dodge & Burn Tool
- Introducing the Dodge & Burn sliders
- Getting started with the Dodge & Burn Tool
- Video tutorial
- Luminar NEO
What is the Dodge & Burn Tool
The Dodge & Burn tool in Luminar NEO is an intuitive feature designed to enhance highlights and shadows with remarkable precision and finesse. Whether you're a seasoned professional or an enthusiastic amateur, this tool offers endless opportunities to infuse your images with depth, drama, and a mesmerizing interplay of light. From illuminating dark areas to taming overexposed highlights, the dodge and burn tool in Luminar NEO is a game-changer that enables you to shape your images exactly as you envision them.
Introducing the Dodge & Burn Tool sliders
This slider adjusts the overall strength of the tool.
This brush applies the dodging.
This brush applies the burning.
Use this brush to remove an unwanted effect.
Increase or decrease the size of the brush.
Adjusts the softness of the brush.
Adjusts the amount of dodging or burning you wish to apply to the image.
Getting started with the Dodge & Burn Tool
Whether you want to enhance the dramatic lighting in a portrait, add depth to a landscape, or create a stylized effect that draws the viewer's attention, the dodge and burn tool in Luminar NEO will become your trusted companion on this creative journey. Follow these steps to get started.
Dodge & Burn Tool:
- Open the image in Luminar NEO by using the Add Photos button in the Catalog module (L)
- Move to Edit module (E)
- Then, navigate to the Dodge & Burn tool in the Professional section of the editing toolbar (right side)
- Choose either the Lighten or Darken tool from the top toolbar to select the desired brush.
- Adjust the brush size using the Brush Size slider for precise painting. Use the right and left bracket keys () to increase or decrease the brush size.
- Gradually blend your strokes by adjusting the Softness slider. Press Shift + right/left bracket keys (Shift+[ and Shift+]) to control the brush's hardness.
- Control the impact of your brush stroke with the Strength slider.
- Start dodging and burning by clicking and painting on the canvas. If you make a mistake, use the Erase tool to remove accidental strokes. Reset the tool by clicking the curved arrow next to its name.
- Fine-tune the global intensity of the tool and blend its effect with the original image using the Overall Amount slider.
- Exit the Dodge & Burn tool to apply the adjustments to your image.
Dodge & Burn Tool video tutorial
Watch the full video tutorial covering all sliders in this tool.
Luminar Neo is the latest editing software from Skylum. It was announced back in September 2021, and it's been highly anticipated since.
Luminar Neo is an AI-powered photo editing software. Skylum has said that Neo isn’t replacing their previous release—Luminar AI. But Neo sets out to fix some of the issues users faced with Luminar AI.
We were impressed with the AI tools in Luminar AI. But like many others, we encountered performance issues. Luminar Neo uses the same AI tools, but the new high-speed core engine improves speed and performance.
Luminar Neo isn’t just more of the same. We’re happy to see Skylum has taken Neo in a different direction, adding layer and mask AI tools to the program. This broadens Neo’s appeal, taking it in an Adobe Photoshop direction.
Learn more about Luminar NEO here.
Use one of our discount codes: CPNEO10 will give you a 10% discount - CP10 will give you a $10 discount.
Join 1000s Clever Photography Friends
Sign up and get our weekly newsletter with the latest updates and photography goodies.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.