Luminar NEO: How to use the Film Grain ToolMar 17, 2023
Film Grain refers to the texture component of the vintage photography film. In modern days, this is often recreated to add an extra vintage feel to the photos. Luminar NEO allows you to do this with their simple yet powerful Film Grain tool.
GIFT 🎁: Download your Free Luminar NEO Shortcut Cheatsheet and immediately speed up your editing workflow in Luminar NEO! Click here to get your gift!
In this article:
- What is the Film Grain Tool
- Introducing the Film Grain Tool sliders
- Getting started with the Film Grain Tool
- Video tutorial
- Luminar NEO
What is the Film Grain Tool
The Film Grain tool emulates the structure of analog film stock by introducing random, stylized grain to your image. Keep in mind that grain and noise are different things. Use grain to give your color or black and white photos a cool analog feel.
Introducing the Film Grain Tool
This slider controls the degree of graininess in the image.
Size & Roughness
This slider adjusts the size of individual grains.
This slider allows you to select the coarseness of the grain.
Getting started with the Film Grain Tool
The film Grain tool should be used towards the end of the photo-editing workflow. The tool itself is very simple to use as it only contains three sliders allowing you to adjust the Amount, Size and Roughness of the grain you will add to your image. Don't forget to use the Grain tool in combination with masking to add this effect to specific areas of your image.
Film Grain Tool:
- Open the image in Luminar NEO using the Add Photos button (Cmd/Ctrl + O) in the Catalog module (L).
- Move to the Edit module (E).
- Depending on the image, apply a basic development with the tools available in the Essentials section (Develop, Enhance AI, Color).
- Use additional creative tools to edit the image before using the Film Grain tool.
- Open the Film Grain Tool and start by increasing the Amount slider to get the desired effect.
- To fine-tune the result, you can adjust the size and roughness of the grain with the additional sliders available in the tool.
Film Grain Tool video tutorial
Watch the full video tutorial covering all sliders in this tool.
Luminar Neo is the latest editing software from Skylum. It was announced back in September 2021, and it's been highly anticipated since.
Luminar Neo is an AI-powered photo editing software. Skylum has said that Neo isn’t replacing their previous release—Luminar AI. But Neo sets out to fix some of the issues users faced with Luminar AI.
We were impressed with the AI tools in Luminar AI. But like many others, we encountered performance issues. Luminar Neo uses the same AI tools, but the new high-speed core engine improves speed and performance.
Luminar Neo isn’t just more of the same. We’re happy to see Skylum has taken Neo in a different direction, adding layer and mask AI tools to the program. This broadens Neo’s appeal, taking it in an Adobe Photoshop direction.
Learn more about Luminar NEO here.
Use one of our discount codes: CPNEO10 will give you a 10% discount - CP10 will give you a $10 discount.
Join 1000s Clever Photography Friends
Sign up and get our weekly newsletter with the latest updates and photography goodies.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.