Luminar NEO: How to use Focus StackingNov 05, 2023
In photography, achieving pinpoint focus and breathtaking detail is a constant pursuit. With the introduction of Luminar NEO's Focus Stacking extension, your approach towards focus will be revolutionized. Whether you're interested in macro shots, landscapes, or simply seek impeccable sharpness, this tool is a game-changer. In this blog, you'll learn about Focus Stacking, how to obtain the extension, and how to get started with it.
GIFT 🎁: Download your Free Luminar NEO Shortcut Cheatsheet and immediately speed up your editing workflow in Luminar NEO! Click here to get your gift!
In this article:
- What is Focus Stacking
- How to get Focus Stacking
- How to install Focus Stacking
- Introducing Focus Stacking Controllers
- Getting started with Focus Stacking
- Video tutorial
- Luminar NEO
What is Focus Stacking
Luminar NEO is a photo editing software that can be enhanced with an extension called Focus Stacking. This feature enables you to stack up to 100 photos with varying depths of field and produce a new, high-quality image. By utilizing advanced AI technology, Focus Stacking intelligently selects the sharpest parts of each photo and automatically corrects lens and chromatic aberrations in raw files. The end result is a stunning image that boasts incredible detail and clarity.
How to get Focus Staking
Focus Stacking is a professional paid extension for Luminar NEO. Currently, there are three ways to get it:
- Purchase it as an individual extension here.
- Purchase it as part of the Extensions Pack here.
- Subscribe to the Luminar NEO Subscription plan here.
TIP 👍: Are you planning to purchase the extension or subscribe to Luminar NEO? Use our discount code CPNEO10 and get 10% off your purchase.
How to install Focus Stacking
Once you purchase or acquire the Focus Stacking extension from the Skylum website, you will have to install it into your application from the "Extensions" panel following the steps below.
TIP 👍: To install the extension into your software, it is necessary to have an active internet connection. It is also essential to ensure you are running the latest version of Luminar NEO before installing the extension into your application.
- Open Luminar NEO and log in with the same profile you used for obtaining the extension.
- Click on the "Extras" orange button in the top right corner of the application.
- Once the new window opens, select the "Extensions" tab at the top.
- Locate the Focus Stacking extension in the available list and click the "Install" button to add it to the application.
- Access Focus Stacking in the Catalog module.
Introducing Focus Stacking Controllers
This controller helps to ensure that the images are aligned in case of any shake or movement of the camera. We recommend always leaving it on, as it is always safe to ensure that your images are aligned.
Allows you to choose which image you wish to choose as a reference image.
Chromatic Aberration Reduction
You can turn it on to remove any purple or green fringe along the photo's edges. We recommend always having it on.
Remove All Images
This controller removes all the images from the selection.
Getting started with Focus Stacking
- Capture a series of images with different depths of field and import them into Luminar NEO.
- Open the Focus Stacking extension in the Catalog module.
- Import your images into Luminar, select them and drag and drop them into the Focus Stacking tool.
- Adjust the controllers to your liking, then click on Stack.
- When the stacking is finished and the new image is created, you will find it by default in the newly created Focus Stacking folder in the Catalog module.
- Once the new image is created, you can edit and enhance it using Luminar Neo’s various editing tools, such as adjusting the exposure, contrast, highlights, shadows, and more, to achieve your desired look.
Focus Stacking video tutorial
Watch the full video tutorial covering all controls in this tool.
Luminar Neo is the latest editing software from Skylum. It was announced back in September 2021 and has been highly anticipated.
Luminar Neo is an AI-powered photo editing software. Skylum has said that Neo isn't replacing their previous release—Luminar AI. But Neo sets out to fix some of the issues users faced with Luminar AI.
We were impressed with the AI tools in Luminar AI. But like many others, we encountered performance issues. Luminar Neo uses the same AI tools, but the new high-speed core engine improves speed and performance.
Luminar Neo isn't just more of the same. We're happy to see Skylum has taken Neo in a different direction, adding layer and mask AI tools to the program. This broadens Neo's appeal, taking it in an Adobe Photoshop direction.
Learn more about Luminar NEO here.
Use one of our discount codes: CPNEO10 will give you a 10% discount - CP10 will give you a $10 discount.
Join 1000s Clever Photography Friends
Sign up and get our weekly newsletter with the latest updates and photography goodies.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.